How user views through a social media lens can help to create better buildings
Time: 11:00 - 12:00
Date: Week 1: 25-29 January
This Webinar focuses on the results of a research project exploring users’ experiences of the new Bristol Business School and Bristol Law School building at the University of the West of England (UWE). The research, sponsored by Stride Treglown and ISG, produced a future-focused practical toolkit which is based on Lessons Learnt from this project.
The rich narrative and visual data gathered from Instagram photos #myUWEBBSview, from over 250 participants who took part in the study, goes beyond more usual ‘technical-functional’ analyses of how new buildings operate and highlights especially personal, emotional and sensory user experiences of the building.
The project report provides an in-depth, user-centred account of how the transparent, collaborative and flexible university building affects working and studying practices.
Firstly, Matt Tarling, Director and Head of Universities at Stride Treglown, will give an overview of the project and Prof. Samantha Warren, University of Portsmouth, will explain the research methodology.
Our panel of academic and estates experts – Dr. Ghazwa Alwani-Starr, Prof. Jane Harrington, Prof. Samantha Warren and Matt Tarling- chaired by Cora Kwiatkowski, Divisional Director Higher Education and RIBA Client Adviser, will then explore the following main themes and present their thoughts:
1. The need for active management of informal and collaboration spaces that will become more and more popular during the pandemic and in the post Covid world, and how to successfully blur boundaries between student life (‘like home’) and professional appearance
2. Making academic work and education visible inside and outside the building – how to combine a ‘sense of wonder’ and openness with the need for privacy and personal space including making environments Covid-safe drawing upon successful design principles.
- Matt Tarling Director and Head of Universities - Stride Treglown
- Professor Samantha Warren Professor in Organization Studies - University of Portsmouth
- Professor Jane Harrington Vice-Chancellor - University of Greenwich
- Dr Ghazwa Alwani-Starr Pro Vice-Chancellor (Strategy, Planning and Partnerships) - University of London
- Cora Kwiatkowski Dipl.-Ing. Arch RIBA Divisional Director - Stride Treglown